Where's the book?

Monday, June 30, 2014

What is more important than Truth and Beauty, #27?


Lucy Grealy was a poet, essayist, and memoirist who had lost part of her jaw to childhood cancer and suffered through years of chemo, radiation, and failed reconstructive surgeries. Ann Patchett, author of Bel Canto and other novels, was Lucy’s best friend. This beautiful book covers the 20 years of their friendship, their fame, and their pains, loves, and losses. Grealy was not an easy friend; filled with joy and life at times, at other times overwhelmingly needy and demanding. Even if Patchett only did half of the things for Grealy she claims, even if she only gave half of the love and the loyalty she writes about, she was still one of the most giving, loving, and loyal friends ever. I was moved to tears and also cries of frustration at times, and the book made me question the extent I am willing to sacrifice for a friend. It made me want to be friends with Ann Patchett (which I already wanted to be because she owns a bookstore in Nashville, where she lives!) and it also made me want to read Grealy’s memoir, Autobiography of a Face.

No comments:

Post a Comment